F-Prot Slipping

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Thu Aug 14 04:14:48 IST 2003

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.htm

W32.Blaster.Worm is a worm that exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability
(described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026) using TCP port 135. The
worm targets only Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines. While Windows NT and
Windows 2003 Server machines are vulnerable to the aforementioned exploit
(if not properly patched), the worm is not coded to replicate to those
systems. This worm attempts to download the msblast.exe file to the
%WinDir%\system32 directory and then execute it. The worm has no
mass-mailing functionality.

-----Original Message-----
Of Nathan Johanson
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 9:09 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: F-Prot Slipping

I must be missing something here... All the descriptions I've read about
this virus make no mention of an email component. Does this worm spread via
email?

I was under the impression that this virus infects unprotected Windows
computers on the Internet--machines not protected by a firewall w/ all of
the corresponding ports open to the world (TCP 135, TCP 4444, UDP 69). I
haven't read anything about that being a email component.

Most of the virus descriptions (including this snippet from CERT) seem to
support this concept and make no mention of email:

Known exploits target TCP port 135 and create a privileged backdoor command
shell on successfully compromised hosts. Some versions of the exploit use
TCP port 4444 for the backdoor, and other versions use a TCP port number
specified by the intruder at run-time. We have also received reports of
scanning activity for common backdoor ports such as 4444/TCP.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Nathan