eTrust support

Alan Fiebig mailscanner at ELKNET.NET
Thu Aug 14 02:23:12 IST 2003

On Aug 7, 2003 Julian said:
>I've pursuaded it (eTrust) to install on RedHat 8.0 (the patch on CA's web site
>works), and support for it in MailScanner appears to be working just fine.

Just a note:

This evening I received an email from CA that said they just released free update patches to eTrust to now fully support:
  Red Hat 8.0
  Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1
  SCO Linux 4
  SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 8

Now no extra effort is needed :)

I was comforted to also see that:
  "CA is the proud recipient of the "Best Security
   Solution" award, LinuxWorld Expo & Conference,
   January, 2003 for eTrust Antivirus v7:"

Since I installed eTrust along with Julian's beta 4.23-2, it has been working without fault. I've been comparing its 'catches' to ClamAV, and it is catching more viruses. Julian's auto-update is working great too, it just needs the final touches to log successful updates to the log file.

>From my perspective, the second best feature, next to it performing so well, is its cost. $110 buys you a five license version (5 is the smallest they sell), which includes the following versions all in the one package :
  Linux (valid for workstation or server install)
  Windows
  PocketPC
  Lotus Domino server
  Microsoft Exchange server
  Microsoft IIS server
  Netware Groupwise server
  Checkpoint Firewall plugin
  Standalone Gateway server (scans SMTP, HTTP, FTP traffic)
  Apache RedHat Plugin

Not bad for $110, you can install one copy with MailScanner, and have 4 copies left to install anywhere you want, from your PDA to your Linux or Microsoft workstations and servers.

Julian, thanks for the quick implementation with MS!

-Alan