Notifications?

Derek Winkler dwinkler at ALGORITHMICS.COM
Fri Aug 8 19:50:18 IST 2003

Should be easy enough to whitelist daily digest.

My idea was to have a link for each message in the digest. The link would
include an MD5 signature of the email or subject, sender and receiver
combined as basic authentication. This avoids the messy authentication for
each user. Of course people would be able to see these in the digest emails
but how far do you want to go. I'm not too interested in maintaining yet
another username/password combo.

The web page could display a list of actions to perform on that email,
including Whitelist, Forward, Learn as Ham... Users would be able to select
more than one action.

-----Original Message-----
From: Furnish, Trever G [mailto:TGFurnish at herff-jones.com]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 2:23 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at jiscmail.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Notifications?

Actually my first thought was a daily email message with a list of messages
(sender and subject), and since the goal would be to make it quick and
simple, how about a checkbox by each message row and a submit button at the
bottom of the message.  We'd just embed a form tag in the me...  Oh, wait,
form tag.  Nevermind. ;^)

But then, along the same lines, it occurs to me that putting even just a
list of message senders and subjects into a digest to be sent to the user
may be likely never to get there ... because it would be likely considered
spam.

And that leads me to, "Well, that's ok, I really didn't want another daily
message anyway."  And THAT, leads me in turn to the idea that perhaps
instead of daily digests, we could automatically create a username and
password for access to a web interface that allows releasing messages.  This
username would just be the email address and the password something
autogenerated.  It would be sent to the user the first time a spam was
stored, then only sent again if the user loses the password and requests it.

Several advantages here, not the least of which is that instead of waiting
for a daily digest listing the blocked messages, the user could hit the web
page as soon as they suspect a message has been blocked.  For example, when
Tom emails Bob a message and Bob is waiting for it, after a few minutes he
doesn't have to say "It didn't come through, I bet the spamfilter got it -
I'll call the helpdesk" - instead he can say "Hold on, maybe it got stuck in
that dang spamfilter again - let me check."

Of course, immediacy of being able to check for a "stuck" message implies
real-time (not batched) logging into a database or log file - otherwise the
user would have to wait for MS to flush its logs.

-t.

PS: I reserve the right to be wrong. :-)