Notifications?

Ken Anderson ka at PACIFIC.NET
Fri Aug 8 15:39:39 IST 2003

Julian Field wrote:

> You cannot currently do this. Wouldn't it generate an /awful/ lot of mail?

It would. But if it could be a daily (or configurable) digest sent to
the end user of spam quarantined with a nice link to release the
individual emails? That would be nice. I'm sure this has occurred to
others on this list.. Anyone put any work into such a thing?

Other Anti-Spam solutions have this; Postini, active-state's new
anti-spam product - I saw it at linuxworld tuesday - very cool, but I
can't remember the name of the product!

The result would be that the end user wouldn't have to d/l 50-80% {SPAM}
tagged email and filter it locally. The impression by the end user would
be that we were taking care of that for them. :-)

This may not be a MailScanner feature, maybe an addon script or two?
MailScanner could help by writing out a log of what it has quarantined
when and where it has put it. I would expect this could be done with
some simple logging code in MailScanner at the same points it currently
logs quarantine info to the maillog.
Then a perl script run from cron could read the "quarantine log" and
generate emails to end users on a regular basis. Another script could
handle releasing the quarantined email when an end user clicked a link
in the email.

Ken
Pacific.Net