Help! SA timing out, mail undelivered

mikea mikea at MIKEA.ATH.CX
Thu Aug 7 17:21:48 IST 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:06:16PM -0500, mikea wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 04:24:33PM -0500, Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> > This is the first time I've looked at ms/sa debug output, so maybe this is a
> > red herring (especially since you say rbl's seem to be working), but why
> > does it seem to think dns is unavailable?
> >
> > Also, I'm a little confused about why a SA timeout that MS properly kills
> > would be responsible for stopped mail-flow - when I see messages like that,
> > I still get the message delivered, just not scanned by SA.  ...at least I
> > think I still get it.  Maybe I need to verify that. :-)
> >
> > When you say "disable SA" you mean setting "use spamassassin = no" in the
> > MailScanner.conf file, right?
>
> Exactly.
>
> The only SA code that runs is the SA code started inside the various
> MS processes.
>
> I also am looking at the DNS stuff -- or will tomorrow.

I am at wit's end. The DNS requests appear all to be OK: each request
to the server has a matching response. (sloppy Perl program to analyze
tcpdump output available on request)

I have gone so far as to reboot the mailscanner machine, have emptied
/etc/mail/mailscanner/* (moved local.cf to another directory), and so
on. Mail still hangs in the mqueue.in queue, I have 5 mailscanner
processes eating up about 20% of the box each, and it is *obvious* to
me that they're waiting on *something* -- but I can't tell what, except
that SpamAssassin is timing out, and I can't tell why from the MS or
SA diagnostics.

Logs, configuration files, tcpdump output, beer, and small amounts of
blood available on request. Blood may be limited by stock on hand, as
the users are gritching about wanting mine if I don't stop the spam!

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin since 1964