Exim makefile question

Mike Oliveri moliveri at UTI.COM
Mon Aug 4 20:51:14 IST 2003

I've got yet another Exim question for the Exim gurus out there.

Rather than continue to wrestle with the current Exim config and version I
inherited, I'm starting from scratch with version 4.20. I've got the new
book on the way and will consult it for most questions, but I do have a
quick one related to setting up the Local/Makefile for use with Mailscanner:

1) I see under creating the configure file that I can create a
colon-separated list. Would it be best to create that second configure file
for Mailscanner here, or should I just copy it over per the Mailscanner
instructions? The Makefile comments are somewhat vague as to whether this
second file will really be created.

2) Same as above regarding the exim spool. If I need two spool directories,
particulary with one (or both) a split spool, am I also able to put a
colon-separated list of spool directories here? I understand Mailscanner
needs to have the spool and split directories created before it gets fired
up for the first time -- are those directories created by what's found in
this makefile? Or is there another script to be run later that will create
the second spool and split directories, say following the initial make and
make install?

3) I've also offloaded the logfiles from the Exim spool directory to their
own log directory. Is that wise with two separate config files or is it
best to just leave them be? In other words, will instances of Exim run by
the respective configure files write to their own logs, or will they play
nice and all Exim logs just write to the same place?

Thanks!

Take care,
Mike Oliveri
UTI Systems, Inc