Zip files not getting checked?

Steve Thomas lists at STHOMAS.NET
Sat Aug 2 06:57:33 IST 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 12:42:12AM -0500, Mike Kercher is rumored to have said:

> What does your script do differently than the update_virus_scanners script?

I wrote that long before I was using MS, or I probably wouldn't have bothered. I don't use the update_virus_scanners script, so I'm not sure *exactly* what it does, but my understanding is that it runs (via cron?) periodically, and pulls down the entire zip file of IDEs. My script pulls just the single IDE as soon as the notification e-mail comes in. No wasted hits against the Sophos server, no wasted bandwidth (not like it's a lot) and no letting viruses through while you're asleep and the update_virus_scanners script is waiting for it's next run. Today was a good example - one copy of the virus got through before the new IDE was in place and two more were caught within minutes after it was installed.

--
"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial."
- Irvin S. Cobb