spam.whitelist.rules

Ken Anderson ka at PACIFIC.NET
Fri Aug 1 14:58:59 IST 2003

MailScanner looks at the first To address and evaluates the message
based on that. That's not good for per-user whitelists in MailScanner.

I went through this same process of "how do I really use per user
whitelists?", and ended up using sendmail to split all messages with
more than 1 recip into x messages with 1 recipient, so MailScanner only
sees 1 recip per message. NOTE: This raises the load on your server
substantially, since x recipients means x messages now, but it works,
and that's what I needed. :-)

CustomConfig.pm can give you whitelisting per user, and sendmail can
split messages into 1 recip per message to make the whitelists work as
they should.

To make sendmail 8.12.x split the messages, you do this:

1) Start the incoming sendmail with a different config file.
Changes to /etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner (from rpm install on redhat)
make this change to the incoming sendmail command line:

------ snip -------

  $SENDMAIL -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn \
                       -ODeliveryMode=queueonly \
                       -OQueueDirectory=$INQDIR \
                       -OPidFile=$INPID \
                       -C/etc/mail/sendmail_in.cf

-------- snip --------

2) Make changes to the new sendmail config:
cp /etc/mail/sendmail /etc/mail/sendmail_in.cf

In sendmail_in.cf, add the following:
The comment header "QUEUE GROUP DEFINITIONS" should be there already.
Just add the single line under it.

------- snip --------
############################
# QUEUE GROUP DEFINITIONS  #
############################

Qmqueue, P=/var/spool/mqueue.in, F=f, r=1, R=8, I=2m

------- snip --------

AND, just above the "Ruleset 3" comment header, add the following:
(not sure if both lines are required or not...)

--------- snip --------

# LOCAL_RULESETS
Squeuegroup
R$* @ $*                $# mqueue
R$*                     $# mqueue

###  Ruleset 3 -- Name Canonicalization  ###

Restart sendmail, and things like this start showing up in the log when
messages with multiple recipients come in:

Jul 17 08:14:31 host sendmail[7183]: h6HFDop8007183: split: maxrcpts=1,
rcpts=3, count=2, ids=h6HFDop9007183; h6HFDopA007183

Ken A
Pacific.Net