Too many open files

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 19:51:08 IST 2003

At 19:34 30/04/2003, you wrote:
>I upgraded MailScanner from 3.21 to 4.19 with Sun solaris 2.7.  All goes
>well in lite traffic.
>
>I had a similar problem with some other software on Solaris 2.6 which I
>fixed by adding...
>ulimit -n unlimited
>to that the script that kicks off that process.
>
>You could add that to the init script or check_MailScanner script I
>guess.

If you are running Solaris, then add this to /etc/system and then reboot:

* rlim_fd_max = system-wide file descriptors limit
* rlim_fd_cur = per-user    file descriptors limit
* Default values are 256 per user and 1024 globally, which is
* far too small for MailScanner, which can use 1000 on its own.
set rlim_fd_max=16384
set rlim_fd_cur=8192

BTW Make sure you get that change exactly right, or your machine won't boot
:-)
--
Julian Field