MailScanner on Red Hat 8.0 w/Exch (USER Unknown problem)

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Apr 23 20:32:42 IST 2003

> I am at a loss where to look for an answer at this point as I tested per
> your suggestion the  setting that told unknown users to be forwarded to
> the exchange box, but I would think this would be redundant as the mx
> thing is supposed to take care of the forwarding automatically.I need to
> resolve why the mailscanner box isn't forwarding email to the exchange
> box when it comes in (I can see that it is getting the mail in the mail
> log, it just says unknown user). I currently turned off named and am
> relying on the dns entry on the machine to point to the W2K DNS server
> that has the two mx records for the domain. It is possible that I need
> another set of mx records for the W2K domain that the exchange server
> thinks it is sending mail from. Anyway, that is where I am at now.

You may need to add (if you've not done so already...)

yourdomain.com          RELAY

to /etc/mail/access (note that the field separator is <TAB>
Then do...

makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

and then a...

service MailScanner restart

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk