Outgoing mail

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Apr 21 21:21:52 IST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 21:18, Marco Obaid wrote:

> This is a fairly common technique which lets ISPs tailor mail-handler
> systems for their intended function. I think that if you're using
> sendmail on your main mailserver, you could just tell it to use your
> outbound mailsystem as a smarthost.

Execuse my ignorance ... what is a smarthost?

Its a host all non-local mail is sent to, which then handles onward
delivery, rather than attempting to deliver mail directly to the
recipient's mail server.

For example, my home setup is to use my ISP's smtp server as a
smarthost, so that I don't have to worry about the reliability of my
internet connection, problems caused by the reverse lookup of my IP
address (which I can't control) and servers which reject contacts from
addresses in dial-up pools.

smarthost is configured in sendmail.mc

define(`SMART_HOST',`yoursmarthost.yourdomain.co.uk')dnl

[then rebuild sendmail.cf]

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000