SMTP Greeting Failure 421 SMTP...

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Apr 17 21:41:49 IST 2003

  I just upgraded from sendmail-8.11.6 to sendmail-8.12.9 on
  a box running Solaris 9.
I don't have access to Solaris 9, but I do have 8 & 2.6 (plus plenty of
linux boxes) and I think theres a couple of odd things in the
permissions.
 -r-xr-sr-x   1 root     smmsp     867208 Apr 17 14:08 /usr/lib/sendmail
Note that sendmail is running setgid but not setuid (probably not wrong
but a change on earlier Solaris versions I think)

This means (assuming pine calls sendmail directly, I'm not sure whether
it does or not) a none root user won't be able to read these
configuration files.
-rw-r-----   1 root     root       24576 Apr 17 11:46 access.db
-rw-------   1 root     root      172032 Apr 17 10:43 aliases.db
-rw-------   1 root     root           8 Apr 17 09:33 relay-domains
[ You might change these to 644?]
It also won't be able to write to mqueue...

drwx------   2 root     bin         1024 Apr 17 15:02 /var/spool/mqueue/

[I'd have thought that should be 750 root:smmsp]

You might like to try invoking /usr/lib/sendmail from the command line
as a none privileged user to see if that throws up any errors.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.