To AWL or not to AWL...

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 14:36:50 IST 2003

At 14:19 14/04/2003, you wrote:
>Ok -- I've seen people lately suggesting that if you are using MailScanner
>along with SpamAssassin, that turning auto-whitelisting OFF is a good idea.
>Does that appear to be the general consensus?

Yes, definitely.

>I run MS w/ SA for our entire site (along with sendmail).  This handles mail
>for about a dozen people.  Currently, I have AWL on.  I use this to add
>misidentified "spam" emails to the whitelist.
>Is this the best way to do this?  Or should I disable AWL?  And, if so, then
>is the best thing to do for misidentified spam to add them to the
>spam.whitelist.rules file?  Or somewhere else?

You can now feed mis-identified ham/spam back into the Bayes engine in
SpamAssassin. I recently posted my script to do this from a pair of "spam"
and "notspam" mailboxes.

This will help SpamAssassin learn from its mistakes and make it better at
differentiating spam and ham (non-spam).
--
Julian Field