Logging stops after reload of syslog-ng

Desai, Jason jase at SENSIS.COM
Tue Apr 1 16:27:34 IST 2003

I've been noticing in my mail.log file that there are gaps in the logs.
Specifically, when syslog-ng is reloaded (every day around 6:30 am)
MailScanner logs stop until MailScanner does its automatic restart.

I am using Debian (Woody) and it looks like this is happening during the log
rotation process.  Syslog-ng is configured to run "/etc/init.d/syslog-ng
reload" after it rotates log files.  This appears to do a "kill -1" on the
syslog-ng process.  Other processes don't seem to have problems logging
after this - just MailScanner.  Manually restarting MailScanner also fixes
the problem.

I am running:

MailScanner 4.12-2
syslog-ng 1.5.15-1.1
perl 5.6.1-8.2

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?  Is this a problem specific to
syslog-ng?

I wonder if this could be fixed by re-opening the syslog?  Would it be
possible to check for an error when logging, or checking if the log is no
longer opened, and if so, re-open it?  Doing a quick look at perldoc
Sys::Syslog does not indicate there are any return values for the syslog
function.  :-(  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jason