MailScanner Status Check

Gene & Mary LeDuc leduc at CTS.COM
Tue Apr 1 08:09:58 IST 2003

I'm seeing the same thing on RH 8.0 with sendmail 8.12.8-5.80.  It appears
to be running, processing incoming and outgoing mail, but the command
  service MailScanner status
gives
>[root at organizer root]# service MailScanner status
>Checking MailScanner daemons:
>         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>         incoming sendmail:                                [FAILED]
>         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]

8.12.8-5.80 appears to be what RH decided to name 8.12.9

Killing the sendmail processes doesn't make any difference.  Interestingly,
the stop and start commands behave as expected:
>[root at organizer root]# service MailScanner stop
>Shutting down MailScanner daemons:
>         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]
>         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>[root at organizer root]# killall -9 sendmail
>sendmail: no process killed
>[root at organizer root]# service MailScanner start
>Starting MailScanner daemons:
>         incoming sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>         outgoing sendmail:                                [  OK  ]
>         MailScanner:                                      [  OK  ]

The status check at the beginning was run right after the above start and
stop commands.