Signature for outgoing messages

Adrian Phillips a.phillips at MET.NO
Sat Sep 28 16:23:24 IST 2002

    Eric> I think you are running up against the reality that the way
    Eric> Microsoft has implemented this splitting up of large
    Eric> messages is fundamentally a bad idea and hazardous from a
    Eric> security viewpoint.

    >>  Wait a sec. - I'm not a MS fan (quite the opposite) but
    >> spltting of large emails into parts has been "standard" for
    >> many years now under Unix as well as other Oses.; don't know
    >> whether its RFC or not though.

    Julian> The point is that Microsoft OSes suffer a lot of viruses,
    Julian> and therefore any message using this feature is very
    Julian> dangerous. Left in the hands of just the Unix folks (with
    Julian> far fewer viruses around), it was never really a dangerous
    Julian> thing to do.  -- Julian Field Teaching Systems Manager

I wasn't arguing whether this feature is dangerous or not, just the
"MS had done it and screwed up" argument. They haven't done anything
different in this case to other Oses just that it makes life harder
because Windows software has been generally implemented in an insecure
way.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--