[OT] Which f-secure product is f-prot?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 27 19:16:59 IST 2002

At 18:00 27/09/2002, you wrote:

>On Friday 13 September 2002 18:11, Julian Field wrote:
> > Can I add a comment here that hopefully won't get me into too much trouble?
> >
> > F-Prot is a good product.
> > F-Secure is not.
> >
> > F-Secure will silently ignore any file whose pathname is longer than 256
> > characters.
> > They admit to that on their own web site.
> > F-Secure will not scan any files whose name starts with a "." even when you
> > use the "--dumb" option which is supposed to force scanning of all files.
> >

>News on the F-Secure front. On their web site they just released an
>'Important maintenance update' for their scanners.
>The hotfixed 4.15 Linux version now scans 'dot' files without problems.
>As for the pathname longer than 256 chars, the scanner issues a 'path to
>long' message.

And so recently after I mailed their support address indicating my disgust
in seeing these bugs.
Oh my, what a coincidence :-)

They never replied to me (of course) but it at least looks like they fixed
the more glaring of the holes. Why they cannot increase 256 to 256000 I
don't know :-(
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ