ms won't return from ssh

Eric H erich at OLYPEN.COM
Fri Sep 27 00:25:49 IST 2002

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Randy Fishel wrote:

>   Your answer is in what the "-bd" option does in sendmail (or mostly,
> what will happen if it is missing).

Hmm, I was just copying what /etc/rc.d/init.d/mailscanner does, but
you are right, the -bd option isn't there:

        echo -n '         outgoing sendmail: '
        /usr/sbin/sendmail $([ -n "$QUEUETIME" ] && echo -q$QUEUETIME)

Nonetheless, it still didn't help when I added -bd to the outgoing
sendmail in my script.

Something else caught my attention though, while waiting for it to
exit to hopefully maybe see an error or something helpful, I got
this:

mymachine# ssh myothermachine /usr/local/sbin/restart.sendmail
>>> Virus 'W32/Hybris-C' found in file ./g8QLfBPu015603/joke.exe
>>> Virus 'W32/Hybris-C' found in file ./g8QLfBPu015604/midgets.scr
Killed by signal 2.

So, it looks like it might be some sort of console fishiness, like
something isn't wanting to give it up and the noise that Sophos
makes comes through. Someone mentioned, ah, here it is:

>Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 10:13:33 +0800
>From: Ruel C. Bristol <raxie at BULACAN.PH>
>To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
>Subject: Re: what's this VC noise?

>Edit sweep.pl and add "-nc" on the DisinfectionOptions of sophos. This
>will invert the default setting of sophos to ask for confirmation before
>disinfecting/deleting.

But I just added -nc and no joy. This is probably something simple and
stupid, like always.

Eric