bottlenecking?

Mike Kercher mike at CAMAROSS.NET
Wed Sep 25 22:41:54 IST 2002

Why not upgrade to 3.23-3 and see if that helps?

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Tim Tyler
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 4:14 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: bottlenecking?

Mailscanner experts,
   We are currently running mailscanner 2.6 on AIX4.3.3
systems.  Occassionally, we have noticed that mailscanner clogs up at peak
periods and can't seem to process email for hours.  This means that local
or remote mail is stuck in /var/spool/mqueue.in for hours before eventually
making it to the normal sendmail mqueue (if at all).   If I kill the
mailscanner process and restart it everything gets processed nearly
immediately.

  Isn't mailscanner_check running in crontab supposed to make sure that the
process is running ok?  It would really be better if it simply killed the
existing process every time and restarted it.  I suggest this because if it
thinks the process is running ok when it isn't, then its useless.  Anyone's
thoughts about killing and restarting the process every 20 minutes or so?

  Are there any other suggestions for configurations that can minimize
bottlenecking?
Tim

Tim Tyler
Network Engineer - Beloit College