Email Vulnerabilities

David Sullivan David.Sullivan at BARNET.AC.UK
Tue Sep 24 09:32:20 IST 2002

On 24 Sep 2002 at 12:54, Glynn S. Condez wrote:

> Hi guys, I just updated my mailscanner from 3.22-7 to 3.23-1 and what I have
> found out is the speed, its more faster now and the the vulnerability test
> from GFI doesn't work anyone.
>
> One thing I am wondering with, why does this eicar.com gfi test email goes
> to my outlook express deleted items with a modified subject {VIRUS?}
> eicar.com [1/5] up to [5/5] and theres no warning message in the body and
> the attachment is intact with the filename eicar.com. im just wondering
> about this.
>
> Also, I am using Sophos and I got this message in my console "Useful life of
> SWEEP has beed exceeded" does the Sophos doesn't work anymore?

Sophos anti-virus must be updated at least every three months either
from the file on the CD sent to you or by downloading it from the
Sophos website. This message is a warning that your copy of Sophos
more than 3 months old and it *will not* detect the latest viruses.

See:

http://www.sophos.com/support/faqs/ide.html#3.3
3.3. Why doesn't Sophos supply virus identities (IDEs) for versions
of Sophos Anti-Virus more than three months old?

David.
--
David Sullivan        IT Services, Barnet College, London
David.Sullivan at barnet.ac.uk        020 8275 5036

This communication may contain privileged or confidential information which
is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that you may not distribute or use this
communication or the information it contains.  If this e-mail has reached you
in error, please delete it and any attachment.

Internet communications are not secure and Barnet College does not accept
legal responsibility for the content of this message.  Any views or opinions
expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of Barnet College.

Please note that Barnet College reserves the right to monitor the
source/destinations of all incoming or outgoing e-mail communications.