Version 4.00.0a4

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Mon Sep 23 22:49:43 IST 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 15:39, Mike Kercher wrote:
> Julian,
>
> When you are making changes to the code for the V4 generation, are you only changing bin/mailscanner, or do I need everything within
> the tarball each time?  I'm thinking about just symlinking /opt/MailScanner to whatever the tarball creates when I extract it and
> then copying my mailscanner.conf back over.

That would be one way, but you'd have to check for changes in
mailscanner.conf each time and possibly in other things that live in
/etc.

What I do is to keep the previous version's download in someplace other
than my 'running' directory. When a new version is released I unpack it
and 'diff -r previous current' (e.g. diff -r MailScanner-4.00.0a3
MailScanner-4.00.0a4). That will show all changed files and what
changed. If the change occurs in a config file that I've modified in my
running copy I can adjust as necessary. My running copy
(/opt/MailScanner) is just a symlink to the actual stuff
(/opt/MailScanner-4.00.0a4). So I copy the contents from where I
unpacked the download to /opt, merge in my mailscanner.conf and other
local configs, and change the symlink.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed
RedHat.