Second speed test

Robert A. Thompson ucs_rat at SHSU.EDU
Sun Sep 22 22:48:21 IST 2002

> Yeah, Its the time that it takes to walk the queue that's the problem.
> I've never bothered to see if the MailScanner code handled large dirs
> well because that's not what you typically see in the real world. I
> quess my point was that a single large queue run probably doesn't
> reflect the real performance of MailScanner that you'd expect to see on
> a real MailServer.

agree.  The only time I have ever had a large queue is if mailscanner
dies.  Which has only happened to me about 3 or 4 times(note mailscanner
dieing is due to other problems out of mailscanners hands).  This leaves
sendmail running putting mail in the queue.in and nothing taking it
out.  Mailscanner gets progressively faster as it whittles down the
queue.

--rat