Second speed test

Robert A. Thompson ucs_rat at SHSU.EDU
Sun Sep 22 23:06:40 IST 2002

> When I slam 15k messages into the input queue I don't get scanning rates
> nearly as good. I didn't keep the numbers for a single large queue run
> because I was more interested in determining the performance of what one
> sees on a real mail server. Perhaps I'll re-run my sample with a monster
> queue.

just a wild guess shooting from the hip, but I would guess this is b/c
of the time it takes to run through queue to figure out which ones need
scanning.  Try running a "time mailq"  or "time sendmail -bp
-Q/path/to/your/mailq.in" and see how long it takes sendmail to run
through it(with varying number of msg's in the queue).  This may be more
a limit of dealing with large number of files in a single directory 15k
msg's =~ 30k files with small files that is a lot of read head movement
going from file to file no matter what kind of disk you have.

--rat