dropping spam messages?

Sean Embry sean at NISD.NET
Wed Sep 18 19:45:41 IST 2002

I've seen this quite a bit. I'm also seeing more and more "Broken Pipe"
messages,
and I suspect that's when the spammer drops the connection before the
5.7.1
gets back. Can anyone gently <thawp> me with a clue stick on the
"broken pipe"
messages?

I've loaded IPTABLES, and in the process of writing shell code to run
every hour
or so to parse out the IP lines in the access file and apply a
REJECT --reject-with icmp-net-prohibited rule for offenders.

>>> Tim Tyler <tyler at beloit.edu> 09/18/02 11:09AM >>>
Mailscanner,
  I am using Mailscanner for virus protection along with Sophos and it
works
wonderfully for the most part.  I had been ignoring spam until now.  I
usually just tell end users to delete it.  However, recently it has
been
becoming more and more annoying and to the point of DOSing our smtp
server.
  Can the latest version of Mailsanner have spam email be
automatically
deleted like virus email and have a message sent back to the sender
indicating that the email was not delivered because it was identified
as
spam, etc.?  Any thoughts on how often false positives for spam are
identified?

Note: I am not a fan of tagging email as spam and letting end users
filter
it.  I would rather stop it altogether (as much as possible).

--
Tim Tyler
Network Manager - Beloit College
tyler at beloit.edu