SV: SV: SV: Multiple cpu?

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Wed Sep 18 15:11:21 IST 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 08:48, Anders Andersson, IT wrote:
> Hmm, now I feel stupid but I have to ask.
> Whats the differense between instances and child processes?

The difference is effectively just the way the the multiple processes
are handled. The current (V3) code wasn't designed for multiple MS
processes, so you have to run multiple copies (instances). So I refer to
using multiple instances of MS, with the queue's managed by a separate
process. Each instance of MS in a multi-process scenario is running
continuously.

The upcoming V4 code runs a single master process that spawns off
children as necessary (up to some configured max number) to handle the
load. Child processes do their work and exit so that they don't needless
consume resources. At least that's what I assume Julian has done.

> You all probably figured out my level of expertice  =(
> but this is something I relly need to understand.
> My guess from the begining was thats with 2 cpu MS would be
> able to scan faster. But know Im not sure If I should spend the
> extra money.
> Does 2 cpu demands extra config or will it handle it by it self?

You won't gain much advantage as far as MS is concerned from a
multi-processor box. However, MS isn't the only thing active on a system
that also happens to be running MS, so the other processor will get used
but things like the sendmail and other tasks the system runs. My
personal recommendation is to go with a multi-processor if you have a
significant mail load.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed
RedHat.