Selective spam filtering?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Sep 16 20:30:29 IST 2002

At 16:04 16/09/2002, you wrote:
>Any more thoughts?

In V4, it will be something like

Spam Checks = /usr/local/MailScanner/etc/rules/spam.checks.rules

then in that file
To:     account1 at domain.com     yes
To:     account2 at domain.com     yes
To:     account3 at domain.com     yes
To:     *@domain.com            no

Then it will do spam scanning for account1,2,3 and not for any of the other
accounts at domain.com.

For those of you that are wondering, this is the form of the generalised
ruleset configuration system in V4, with which you can pull all sorts of
useful tricks (yes, you can even make that outgoing mail directory
(/var/spool/mqueue) dependent on the addressing of the message, so you can
send incoming mail into 1 queue while sending outbound mail into another
queue if you want to). There are a few other rule types other than the 2
above, leaving you the ability to test on just about anything to do with
where the mail came from or where it is going.

I haven't yet managed to come up with the reason *why* you might want to do
some of the more obscure configurations that are possible, but I'm working
on it :-)

> >> I'll have to think about that one...
>
>At 16:43 13/09/2002, you wrote:
> >I have been playing around with the whitelist, but I can't seem to figure
> >out the best way to accomplish what I need.
> >
> >Basically I have a domain, somedomain.com, which has about 3000 email
> >accounts on another mail server.  Only about 100 of the accounts want spam
> >filtering.  From what I can see with the whitelist, I need to put 2990 To:
> >accounts in the whitelist.  I guess it could be done, but it would be a
> >management nightmare.
> >
> >Is there an easier way to just identify the 100 accounts as getting
> >filtered, while leaving the other 2990 unfiltered.  Thanks.
> >
> >At 02:56 13/09/2002, you wrote:
> > >I am currently using mailscanner with spamassassin and sendmail.  I am
>only
> > >using the spam feature to filter spam for specific domains that are
>hosted
> > >on other mail servers.  Can I only spam filter for certain addresses in
>the
> > >domain, while letting everything else through?
> > >
> > >someone at somedomain.com gets filtered
> > >*@somedomain.com no filtering
> > >
> > >Is this possible with my config?
> >
> >Yes, the spam whitelist lets you do exactly this. Take a look at the sample
> >supplied spam.whitelist.conf file.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ