multiple mailscanner instances?

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Fri Sep 13 19:44:06 IST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 13:19, Eric H wrote:
> OK, if I'm understanding the process correctly then one instance of
> sendmail listens and deposits mail in /var/spool/mqueue.in/ then
> mailscanner picks it up and scans it and deposits it in
> /var/spool/mqueue/ and then the other instance of sendmail picks it
> up and transfers it or hands it to procmail for delivery.
>
> So, would it not be possible to run multiple instances of mailscanner
> in order to increase the rate at which mail is picked up from
> /var/spool/mqueue.in? Would they step on each other? Would there
> be a performance benefit? Seems to me that on a dual processor machine
> it would.

Yes, it is possible to run more than one instance of MailScanner, but
it's a little more complicated. What needs to happen in that case is
that Sendmail is configured to drop inbound mail into mqueue.in. Then
you need something else that picks up qf/df pairs from the input queue
and distributes those to two or more MailScanner work queues. Each of
the MailScanner instances has to have its own mailscanner.conf file,
with the input queue pointed at one of the work queues. After scanning
the results are placed in the sendmail output in the normal manner.

Other things that require adjustment if you do this include the system
init script that starts MailScanner and the check_mailscanner (or
whatever local process does the same thing).
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat
jim at entrophy-free.net