logging

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Fri Sep 13 18:49:59 IST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-13 at 02:09, Julian Field wrote:
> At 23:32 12/09/2002, you wrote:
> >
> >If that sort of information was going to be logged, and I'm not sure if
> >that is something that MailScanner ought to be doing, it would seem to
> >me that it would make more sense to push the data into a file or a DB.
> >Syslog isn't very flexible in its logging format and we are talking
> >about a big growth in the log files. Seems to me that if it were going
> >into a separate log file or a DB the results would be easier to parse
> >and the maillog would remain more reasonable. The downside of that kind
> >of additional logging is that it is going to slow down MailScanner and
> >the code will be larger and more complex.
>
> Syslog already has hooks in it so that you can log to whatever file or
> program you like, I'm not going to re-invent the wheel :)

Good point, it does keep the program logic a bit simpler. I guess my
point was that for this particular type of logging some other method
might be worth the increased complexity. It might be good to poll and
see how valuable such an option would be.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat
jim at entrophy-free.net