[OT] Which f-secure product is f-prot?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 13 17:11:29 IST 2002

Can I add a comment here that hopefully won't get me into too much trouble?

F-Prot is a good product.
F-Secure is not.

F-Secure will silently ignore any file whose pathname is longer than 256
characters.
They admit to that on their own web site.
F-Secure will not scan any files whose name starts with a "." even when you
use the "--dumb" option which is supposed to force scanning of all files.

Personally I wouldn't touch F-Secure with a 10-foot barge pole, I think it
is an absolute piece of rubbish.

F-Prot on the other hand is a pretty good product (not quite as nice as
Sophos as the output is hell to parse), but it does seem capable of working
properly.

So go to www.f-prot.com and not www.f-secure.com.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ