First speed test of version 4

Chris Campbell Chris.Campbell at FAC.COM
Thu Sep 12 15:14:55 IST 2002

You are the MAN!!!

btw - I think we should all set up a "Julian is the Man" Donation Fund :P
Christopher S. Campbell
UNIX Admin

                    Julian Field
                    <mailscanner at ECS.SO       To:     MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
                    TON.AC.UK>                cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     First speed test of version 4
                    MailScanner mailing
                    list
                    <MAILSCANNER at JISCMA
                    IL.AC.UK>

                    09/12/2002 10:02 AM
                    Please respond to
                    MailScanner mailing
                    list

This test was done on a dual-CPU 1GHz Pentium 3 box with 512Mb RAM.
It's not very fast by modern standards but was quite nice when I bought it
a few years ago...

Version 3 processed 20,000 messages in 415.5 minutes.
This scales up to 69314 messages per day.

Version 4 processes 20,000 messages in 130.3 minutes.
This scales up to 221028 messages per day.

So version 4 ran 3.2 times faster than version 3 on the same hardware, with
the same MailScanner configuration, with the same 20,000 messages.

Vrrrooooommmmmm........
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ