Feature request

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 12 09:58:45 IST 2002

At 08:07 12/09/2002, you wrote:
>For local domains, can mailscanner give an option of taking the local
>domains from /etc/mail/local-host-names. This way, whenever a domain is
>added, it will also be scanned. I know I can do it by creating a link but
>this seems more logical.

Local domain lists will now have to be included in the configuration files
"properly" in the new version. I have had to remove the quick hack of
allowing a single external file to specify a bunch of domain names.

However, converting your local-host-names or whatever file into a
MailScanner V4 config should be pretty easy, so you can just write a little
script which re-creates the particular config file from your local-host-names.

>Can a separate log location be created each domain for Mailscanner? maillog
>has smtp entries, mailscanner entries and ipop3d entries. For a large
>multi-domain mail server, this is useful.

Not very easy I'm afraid. Syslogd only has a few "facility" names to use,
and you have to specify the facility when you first open the syslog
connection at startup, you can't quickly just change from one facility to
another. Separating them within maillog is done by another string that is
passed to syslogd at startup as well, so changing that is not quick either.

>Can the tabs in filenames.rules.file have an alternative of commas? We would
>end up making lesser mistakes tabs Vs spaces.

No, because commas are perfectly valid things to have in regexp patterns,
and in log text.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ