Feature, maybe misfeature

Eric H erich at OLYPEN.COM
Wed Sep 11 23:45:22 IST 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Lewis Bergman wrote:

> I am wondering if it would be helpful for anyone else to have spams sent to a
> different directory than viruses?
>
> I am searching for a way to put spam that we don't deliver into user's mail
> accounts. I think a seperate dir might make this easier only because I don't
> want to put mail containing viruses in their mail account.

I deliver mail to homedirs, i.e. $HOME/.mail and a simple .procmailrc file
can arrange to deliver tagged spam to a .spam file in their homedir too,
then run a second popper on say port 1110 that pops from the .spam files.
Users will be able to download their spam if they want, check for false
positives, etc.

What I haven't got written yet is a "spamsweeper" script which lazily runs
in the background at a low 19 nice priority all the time, going through
all of the .spam files and deleting any message older than x days.

Eric