RPM's bad, tar.gz good

Lewis Bergman lbergman at abi.tconline.net
Wed Sep 11 13:42:21 IST 2002

> I fall into both categories, I can't use rpm because it's broken on
> my RedHat 6.2 system and just dumps core all the time, and I don't
> want to use it because depending on rpm makes the overall system more
> complicated with more dependencies and more things to potentially go
> wrong, not a good thing if I'm going to eventually deploy mailscanner
> on a production system. Especially since rpm has demonstrated that it
> is prone to breaking, no way I want to depend on it.
If you want to customize maybe tar's are better but purely from a maintenance
standpoint I would have to disagree.

I'd have to say that if you have that much trouble with rpm then maybe it has
been screwed up on that particular host. Package managers, whether they be
rpm, deb, or any other used correctly typically makes maintenance easier.
Many times a little behind the tar.gz of the packages and RH particularly
seems to have problems with some web stuff but I haven't found any problems
with any mail or DNS rpms.

But of course, I run an rpm manager that handles both 3 and 4 major numbers.
--
Lewis Bergman
Texas Communications