Spam Actions

Jim Levie jim at ENTROPHY-FREE.NET
Wed Sep 11 05:31:59 IST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 18:25, Matt wrote:
> > I'll take a look, that would be a useful feature.
> > I'll need to put the from into the to, and set the from to <>, then
> deliver
> > the message.
> > What should I put in the message?
>
> I would say something similiar to this:
>
> "Mail from " $&{client_addr}" refused by ordb.org open relay database"
>
> Or, better yet, links them right to query:
>
> "Spam blocked see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?"$&{client_addr}')dnl
>
> Something similiar to please contact your ISP to resolve the issue.  Your IP
> or mailserver's IP is listed in an anti-SPAM database.  If you beleive you
> have received this in error please contact your ISP or recipient's ISP.
>
> It should still be possible to whitelist ones own IP's and the
> postmaster/abuse/admin accounts.

Agreed, but I think it best to be judicious in generating a bounce for a
black list hit. My preference is to only send the bounce back if it
looks like a legitimate email message that just happens to originate
from a black listed site. Spammers who take advantage of an open relay
or those that fall for the "make money with your computer at home" could
care less if the get a bounce (and most will never be delivered anyway).
It's the innocent user that just happens to be at a black listed site
that I'm concerned about.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat
jim at entrophy-free.net