New release logging suggestions

Matt Doherty Matthew_doherty at DATAWATCH.COM
Mon Sep 9 21:33:52 IST 2002

I would like to see some differant text in the log per email virus caught..
I grep the maillog to see how many viruses caught so far that week. For
instance, I currently tried 'tail -2000 /var/log/maillog | grep >>>Virus' of
course the ">" symbols something that messes grep up and wont work. The only
string that works best is just use the word Virus ( tail -2000
/var/log/maillog | grep Virus ) Only thing is, it shows the mailscanner
restarting every four hours lines as well as the viruses caught. I cant
think of anything good but maybe some weird character that is never seen in
the maillog such as a & or pipe symbol? Just something that grep could sniff
out easily ONLY for caught viruses. Or do you have a better solution? The
Email ID to go along with it as well would be nice. for ones that were
scanned and ones that were found to be infected.
Hope that is a ok suggestion..
Oh well Im still a newbie anyways 8-)

Matt Doherty
IT Dept