Sophos autoupdate failing on install

S Mohan smohan at VSNL.COM
Thu Sep 5 12:09:55 IST 2002

I had the same problem. I deleted /usr/local/Sophos directory and ran
/usr/local/MailScanner/Sophos.install from the directory where the tar.gz
file from Sophos was downloaded. This is install script installs Sophos in
the right location and also runs the autoupdate which goes thro' fine.
Thought I've not looked at the reasons due to lack of time, I know it works.
I also know that if I install Sophos where it is supposed to be installed by
hand, autoupdate fails in line 77.

HTH
Mohan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Chris Waltham
Sent: 05 September 2002 15:12
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Sophos autoupdate failing on install

Hi guys,

I'm having a few dramas getting Sophos' autoupdate to run when I'm
installing it. I've checked the directory names specified in the autoupdate
script, but to no avail. When I run the autoupdate file by hand, I get this
(it's the same error as upon the initial install):

root at xxx:/usr/local/sophos/bin# ./autoupdate
Lynx failed with error return 1
, Bad file descriptor at ./autoupdate line 77.

Any ideas?

thanks again,

Chris