Sender not notified ...

Rabellino Sergio rabellino at DI.UNITO.IT
Wed Sep 4 11:43:33 IST 2002

Julian Field wrote:

> At 10:04 04/09/2002, you wrote:
> >Dear list (and mostly Julian ...)
> >   I've seen a strange behaviour in my logs:
> >  an email containing the virus W32/HiGuy is catched successfully by
> > mcafee/mailscanner, but no notification are sent to the sender... From
> >the sendmail log I can see that the "from" address is "<>", so mailscanner
> >could not send the virus alert back to the sender (correctly I
> >suppose ...)
> >Now the question : In the body of the message there is a real from
> >address, it's too hard use also this information, almost in the case the
> >from address in the smtp protocol is empty ?
>
> Is the "From:" address genuine?
Yes, almost as can be genuine the from used in the smtp protocol ....
The dark side is that you can get more "undeliverable" messages (from not genuine), but you can achieve better the goal "notify to sender
the infection".

Tks.
--
Dott. Sergio Rabellino