Broken mail?

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at STRATH.AC.UK
Tue Sep 3 12:28:50 IST 2002

Hello, has anyone come across this one.  An attachment someone is sending
causes mailscanner to break, with this message:

Out of memory during "large" request for 2147487744 bytes, total sbrk() is
9665888 bytes at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/sun4-solaris/Sys/Syslog.pm
line 241.

This blocks the queue processing and mail starts to build up.  Can anyone
suggest (for the benefit of the sender) what it is about this Word
attachment that causes this to happen?  The filename is:

(For possible privacy reasons, I've changed some of the plain
alphanumerics here to other plain alphanumerics).  It certainly looks odd,
and the error is generated in the Syslog module, so it could be a message
like this that is being generated and failing because of the oddness:

Sep  3 12:24:02 khafre.cc.strath.ac.uk mailscanner[27623]: Found possible
filename hiding in MVET_TOR.rtf.doc

I'll suggest (when the queue dies down again!) renaming and resending to
see if it is that document name.

We're running quite an old version (with McAfee), so it's possible there
will be some later changes in that module or elsewhere that will prevent
this problem blocking the queue by now - I'll upgrade soon I promise!

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks                                   Computing Officer, IT Services
Mailmaster, Listmaster, Webmaster,       University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Cachemaster                                           jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk