Problem with autoupdate.f-prot

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Oct 30 06:09:06 GMT 2002

I'm running the updater /usr/local/f-prot_3.12b/check-updates.sh with the cron
suffix, and I've never seen it work. But I go to the command line and it works
just fine. So I end up using the failure message as a trigger to manually run
it.

Reading your message, it looks like you are running a different script, but I
don't have an autoupdate.f-prot on my system. Should this have been part of
the install? Or is this something I should go hunting for? I would welcome a
script that normally works with the occasional failure instead of the script
that never runs.

I'm running 4.00.0a13-1, in case that explains why I don't have the script you
are using.

Van

Paul Welsh wrote:

> I'm using Julian's f-prot autoupdate script:
>
> #   $Id: autoupdate,v 1.3.2.5 2002/07/15 00:47:26 nwp Exp $
>
> and today I got the following error in my logs:
>
> FTP address for retrieving files is ftp://eu-1.updates.f-prot.com/pub/
> F-Prot signature file update script
> There is a new version of SIGN.DEF, starting download.
> Download completed.
> Updated SIGN.DEF.
> There is a new version of SIGN2.DEF, starting download.
> Updated SIGN2.DEF.
> There is a new version of MACRO.DEF, starting download.
> Download completed.
> Download completed.
> Could not find correct version of MACRO.DEF, exiting., Bad file descriptor
> at /etc/cron.daily/autoupdate.f-prot line 294, <TEMPFILE> chunk 4.
>
> I ran the script again from the command line and no error messages -
> everything was up to date apparently.
>
> I'm on MailScanner 3.22 with F-Prot 3.12a.

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,