Suggestion

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 29 18:20:56 GMT 2002

At 17:57 29/10/2002, you wrote:
>Now that V4 is pretty stable etc, would it be worth having eg
>MailScanner.rpm and MS-Tools.rpm (or MS-Pre-install.rpm) ?
>
>Would save having to re-run all the perl bits each time we do an upgrade.

How about I add a note to the start of the output of install.sh so it tells
you that if you are just upgrading from another version 4 install that all
you need to do is type one rpm command (it will tell you what to type).

The worry is what happens in the future when there is an improvement/fix to
one of the modules? I could make that distribution always install all of
it. But then if someone doesn't do that upgrade, but does apply a later
one, how will it now if it needs to upgrade all the modules or not?
It isn't quite as simple as it appears.
The current system will work for everyone, so is safe for novice users. If
advanced users know enough to just upgrade the MailScanner rpm itself, then
that's fine.

Thoughts or suggestions?
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ