Configuration issues

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at STRATH.AC.UK
Mon Oct 28 10:38:25 GMT 2002

Julian:

> The most common pre-requisite that I've seen CPAN try to install is Perl
> 5.8. *I* will decide when I want to upgrade my entire Perl installation,
> not CPAN.

Heh.  This is fairly common knowledge, but might be worth documenting in
the FAQ or something.  To avoid this problem, the CPAN module itself needs
to be updated (certainly the case for that with 5.6.1, as distributed in
Sol 9):

  install Bundle::CPAN
  reload cpan

If this is done first, after the basic config stuff, one should be OK.  I
then install Bundle::libnet and so on, before getting on to the real
reason I was running CPAN in the first place.

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks                                   Computing Officer, IT Services
Mailmaster, Listmaster, Webmaster,       University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Cachemaster                                           jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk