what does this error mean

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Oct 26 17:04:08 IST 2002

At 16:47 26/10/2002, you wrote:
>I have found I have two versions of perl on my system...
>
>/usr/bin/perl -v = 5.6.0 which was installed as a Red Hat rpm
>/usr/local/bin/perl -v = 5.8.0 which CPAN auto installed :(

How did I guess? :(

>Is there a correct way to remove 5.8.0?

Look in /usr/local for any directories or files that mention perl, perl5 or
5.8.0 and delete them. Your original Perl installation won't mention 5.8.0
anywhere, and will not have any files under /usr/local.

Once you have removed Perl 5.8, uninstall the RPMs that come with
MailScanner (as they will have been installed in your perl 5.8
installation). You can find out all the perl rpms you have with
         rpm -qa | grep perl
Delete any that you can that are listed in the MailScanner distribution.

That should leave you with a clean system. Then start installing
MailScanner again.

I'm going to add a check for /usr/local/bin/perl at the start of the
install.sh script, so other people don't hit the same problem in the future.

>  I have no problems at the moment,
>as everything seems to be working without any problems. Is there any
>advantage to having two installations, and what problems could be caused?
>
>Andrew G Allen
>email: mail at projectandrew.com | voice: +44 (0) 7958 540596
>
>--- Disclaimer ---
>This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
>intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
>addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify the
>system manager.
>
> > Have you used CPAN? If so, make sure you have only 1 Perl installation.
> > If you have a /usr/local/bin/perl then you asking for all sorts of
> > trouble :( If you have got one, then run
> >          /usr/bin/perl -v
> > and
> >          /usr/local/bin/perl -v
> >

>--
>This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous
>content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ