Too many MailScanners Spawned

Matthew Davis bigdog at DOGPOUND.VNET.NET
Sat Oct 26 05:15:55 IST 2002

Using MailScanner-4.02-3 RPM install, and default .conf sets

Max Children = 5

<rant>
Which might be good for some, but for my slow 300 mhz + 32 meg RAM mail server, having 5 MailScanners running means I could have 5 spamd's running.  Which the load of 1 is plenty of load.  Anyway, a batch of mabye 20 or so emails came in and it took maybe 30 minutes to process them.
</rant>

Enough of rambling, I tried to set Max Children = 1, but it still loads 2 copies of MailScanner.

(bigdog at mail)[~]-% grep "Max Children" /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
Max Children = 1
(bigdog at mail)[~]-%

(bigdog at mail)[~]-% ps axuw|grep Mail
root     19072  0.0 26.4  9360 7816 ?        S    Oct25   0:00 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/sbin/MailScanner /etc/MailS
root     19074  0.0 26.9  9468 7936 ?        S    Oct25   0:00 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/lib/MailScanner /usr/sbin/MailScanner /etc/MailS
(bigdog at mail)[~]-%

Maybe i'm misunderstanding the Max Children variable, help would be appreciated, as I would only like 1 copy running at a time.

Btw, thanks for the great program!  I pay some people back for their services by giving them computer help, but I reckon ya'll don't really need that.  Enjoy...

Matthew Davis
http://dogpound.vnet.net/