sender/postmaster notifications

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 20:35:43 IST 2002

At 18:05 25/10/2002, you wrote:
>I have a weird problem.  I set up our e-mail server as a test server (with
>an IP address and hostname different than what the live server is).
>Everything worked fine.  The sender, recipient, and postmasters were
>getting messages.  I then moved the server live and now it just blocks
>viruses from the recipient, but gives no other notices.  All other e-mail
>is being processed fine. I think that somewere I have forgotten a hostname
>or something.  Here is a maillog excerpt:
>
>Oct 25 08:02:47 kemron-lab sendmail[736]: g9PBxcpJ000736: to=mwilson at kemron-
>lab.com, delay=00:03:09, xdelay=00:03:09, mailer=relay, pri=30137,
>relay=localhost.com. [10.20.40.80], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection
>timed out with localhost.com.
>
>I'm not sure about the localhost.com thing.

This looks like a sendmail problem, not a MailScanner problem. Try
         /usr/sbin/sendmail -d0.1 -d0.4 -bt </dev/null
and it will print out what it thinks its hostnames are. Something is very
wrong with the /etc/hosts or something else that sendmail uses to work out
its hostname.

You can also verify what it will try to do with a message with
         /usr/sbin/sendmail -bv address at domain.com
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ