No subject

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 25 15:19:10 IST 2002

At 14:53 25/10/2002, you wrote:
>The problem with that is that I have a web based e-mail system and don't use
>smtp to send e-mails. I think the only solution is to upgrade sendmail?
>nothing else?

You still should be able to configure your web-based mail system to talk to
a remote SMTP server. I would be a bit surprised (and disappointed with it)
if it can only invoke a local sendmail command.

Otherwise you'll have to upgrade sendmail. But the new one will most likely
work just fine with all your current sendmail config files. You can pretty
safely just ignore the new features that provide things you don't want.

>Thanks!!
>

>At 12:49 25/10/2002, you wrote:
> >How I can scan outgoing e-mails? I use suse 7.2 + sendmail . Any way to
> >check the outgoing messages? My server is both used for in/out messages.
>How
> >could I pass the ougoing messages to sendmail port 25 and then send them? I
> >can't use exim. I suppose someone is using sendmail + scans both
> >incoming+outgoing messages to give me a little bit of help
>
>Modern versions of sendmail (8.12) handle locally generated messages in
>pretty much the same way as external messages, so MailScanner will scan
>them. So that's one solution.
>
>The other solution is to make your email client application send SMTP to
>"localhost" rather than invoke sendmail directly. Find the options for
>specifying a remote SMTP server, and just set the server name to
>"localhost". That will force mail to come in via port 25.
>--
>Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
>jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
>Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                              Southampton SO17 1BJ

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ