getting spamassassin to work

Steve Barber steveb at CME.NIST.GOV
Thu Oct 24 19:32:37 IST 2002

> >Note that there's no SpamScore: header.
>
> That's because the score is less than 1. It can't print a negative number
> of "s" letters.

I thought in this case it might still put in the header with an
empty value.

> >I just turned off auto white listing and now the test mail just
> >comes in with a score of 0.
>
> This looks like a nasty SA problem. My best advice would be
> 1) Delete the auto-whitelist (probably in ~root/.spamassassin)
> 2) Re-install SpamAssassin from the .tar.gz distribution.

Done, and it solved the problem.  It was only a 2.42 to 2.43 upgrade,
and I didn't do anything different installing 2.43 than I did when
I installed 2.42. I don't get it.

Anyway, it's working now.  Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions.

> The check_mailscanner script are a pig to write and make work reliably.
> Unfortunately I don't currently have much option other than to supply
> something that makes a starting point and leave the rest as an exercise for
> the reader.
>
> If you get better versions working, I would be grateful if I could put them
> in the distribution.

I'm running in a high availability environment so I need to make
sure the script is exactly right.  I've got it working, but I want to
extend it a bit to handle restarts and shutdowns too, then I'll send
you want I've got.  For most people it's probably needlessly complicated
but I wanted it to manage (use and clean up) the pid files for clarity.

Is it safe to clean out the incoming directory after mailscanner is
killed?  Or will mailscanner finish processing those files when
it's restarted?

Steve