Quiet?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 23 23:54:04 IST 2002

At 22:26 23/10/2002, you wrote:
>Looking again, it actually says
>
>./install.sh: /CheckModuleVersion: No such file or directory
>

>Maybe thats the real problem?

Another cockup in the distribution, I'm afraid. Get the latest version and
it will check the modules and install ExtUtils::MakeMaker for you if it's
needed, without using CPAN. This should avoid all sorts of installation
problems people have been having, mostly caused by dodgy versions of
ExtUtils::MakeMaker.

Avoiding CPAN means that it won't upgrade your entire Perl installation
just to install 1 module. I'm rapidly going off CPAN, especially on RedHat
systems, it is far too easy to end up with 2 broken Perl installations,
rather than 1 working one.

>-----
>

>Err..
>
>It says I need a new ExtUtils::MakeMaker  so I followed the instructions to
>get it.
>
>Now it still says I need a new ExtUtils::MakeMaker ???

>On 23/10/2002 at 9:39 PM Julian Field wrote:
>
> >At 20:59 23/10/2002, you wrote:
> >>Not sure about anyone else, but I am doing occasional refreshes on the
> >>downloads page hoping to see a -9 appear, so I can install it and go to
> >bed
> >>happy.     It's 5:30am here already, but something like this is worth the
> >>wait.
> >>
> >>I hope :-)
> >
> >Oh, alright then...
> >Because I have added new conf option (so you can have the qf+df /
> >headers+body either way you want it), it's 4.02-1.
> >
> >>But yeah, tumbleweed is quite a nifty way to distribute your seeds, it
> >>would have to beat hanging out in bars, though might not be as much fun
>if
> >>you manage to get lucky.
> >>
> >>But I am sure we digress...
> >
> >Watch out, or the OT police will get you :-)
> >--
> >Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> >jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> >Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
> >                             Southampton SO17 1BJ

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ