Spam Assassin driving me starkers!

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Oct 23 19:08:15 IST 2002

1) I'd recommend editing mailscanner's spam.assassin.user.prefs That's what
I do with recent versions of mailscanner.

2) I'd avoid ever editing anything in /usr/share/spamassassin. It all get's
blown away when you upgrade.

3) I'd recommend running spamassassin --lint to make sure you haven't
corrupted your rulefiles. When SA encounters an error it skips large chunks
of the file, Mailscanner isn't informed of the problem, so it doesn't
report it.

4) I'd recommend running spamassassin from the commandline with
spamassassin -tLD <sample-nonspam.txt to see where it reads local.cf from.
You should see this output near the top:

debug: using "/usr/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir

you want the "site rules dir" to contain your local.cf. MailScanner might
be over-riding that however. I know it over-rides the user_prefs defaults.