Commercial Mail Server

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Tue Oct 22 11:04:50 IST 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:04:19 +0200, you wrote:

>I have client wanting a commercial enterprise e-mail server (to replace
>exchange). I would also like it to use mailscanner plus sophos....
>
>Any recommendations:
>
>Server spec - 600+ users

I would split the central mailserver apart from the server with the
mailboxes. That is something you also would want to do when you use
exchange. Never ever have the internet connect to port 25 on an exchange
server. You wouldn't want that ever in your live.

And then we talk about the specs. As previously stated we have two (for
redundancy) servers running MS with BL's, SA and f-prot on a PIII 1GHZ
with 512 MB running Suse. For the (7000+) mailboxes we have one dual
Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.20GHz system with 2GB memory and 70GB diskspace
in mirror. The users have only POP3 and their homepages on the system.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,