3-24-1 Stops Scanning

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 22 10:16:51 IST 2002

At 23:07 21/10/2002, you wrote:
>This is the second time this has happened now.  I notice that the
>X-Mailscanner... is missing from the headers of messages and I am not
>getting any virus alerts.  So, I shutdown mailscanner with kill and restart
>it and it works again.  Any idea's?  I think I went all weekend without a
>virus scanner running. ;<(

Are you running on a Cobalt system? Beware of cron jobs that "check your
system is working" and restart processes regularly. The only way you could
get the symptoms you are seeing is when something does a "sendmail restart"
or similar without telling you it did it. You need to stop it doing that.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ